Andrew G. Truxal Library compiles monthly a bibliography for the The Guild for L.I.F.E. to accompany members to their trips and/or tours. Each month the Guild for Life visits museums, parks, gardens, art galleries and factories from the Mid-Atlantic region. For more information, please visit: The Guild for Life.
This archive of past trips is a great resource to identify special places to visit in our region. Browse by year to to see trips that are all day trips from AACC.
The National Electronics Museum is located in Linthicum, Maryland. The exhibits include machinery on the history of the United States defense electronics; among them telegraphs, radios, radars and satellites.
The Surratt House is a historical house museum located in Brandywine Road, Clinton, Maryland built by John and Mary Surratt in 1852. Mary Surratt was hanged in 1965 as co-conspirator in President Abraham Lincoln Assassination. It was opened to the public sinde 1976 as a museum.
Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum is located in Calvert County, Maryland and the park has about 70 archaeological sites. Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum is a state of Maryland Park is a property of 560-acres was donated to the State of Maryland by Mary Marvin Patterson in 1983 and the park was named after her husband Jefferson Patterson. JPPM is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
JPPM has also the biggest conservation lab for underwater and other objects in Maryland and it is called the Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory (MAC Lab).
President Lincoln's Cottage at the Soldiers' Home was formerly known as the Anderson House, and is located near Bookland, Washington, D.C., it lays on the grounds of the Soldiers' Home, known today as the Armed Forces Retirement Home.
Several presidents of the United States used this Gothic-style architecture house seasonally. Among those first families were those of President Abraham Lincoln, President Rutherford B. Hayes, President Chester Arthur and President James Buchanan.
The Read House was built in 1793 by George Read II, son of George Read, signator of the Declaration of the Independence, The Read House is located between Harmony and Delaware Streets, downtown New Castle Delaware. It is an example of a brick building house of Federal Period architecture and Adamesque Philadelphia Architecture. Currently the owner of the Read House is the Delaware Historical Society.
Library photo courtesy of Barry Halkin Photography