Skip to main content
Click on the links below to search for criticism and interpretation of literary works, as well as biographical information about authors. To access databases from off-campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back of your Truxal Library card or AACC photo ID.
Use this database for general background information and to define unfamiliar words and phrases:
To further research historical context of literary works, use:
Use these databases to broaden your search:
Please note that Crime and Punishment may be listed by its original Russian title, Prestuplenye i Nakazanye, and that Fyodor Dostoyevsky's name has many alternate spellings, including Dostoevsky, Dostoevski, and Dostoievsky.
Read or Search Crime and Punishment at Google Books
Read or Search Other Online Editions
Full text of Crime and Punishment is also available on the Web at:
Print copies are also available in Truxal Library.
Search the Library Catalog for the following reference titles that contain material about Crime and Punishment. These titles may be available in other college or public libraries.
- Critical Survey of Long Fiction [vol 2]
- Cyclopedia of Literary Characters [vol 1]
- Cyclopedia of Literary Places [vol 1]
- Cyclopedia of World Authors [vol 1]
- European Writers [vol 7]
- Masterplots [vol 3]
- Nineteenth-Century Literature Criticism (NCLC) - Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and journals
- [vols 2, 7, 21, 33, 43, 119, 167] - check under Crime and Punishment or Prestuplenye i Nakazanye in the Cumulative Title Index, a separate paperback index that accompanies this multi-volume work
- [vol 20] - locate the topical essay "The Russian Civic Critics"
- [vol 28] - locate the topical essay "Russian Nihilism"
- [vol 40] - locate the topical essay "The Double in Nineteenth-Century Literature"
- [vol 124] - locate the topical essay "Nineteenth-Century Social Protest Literature Outside England"
- [vol 188] - locate the topical essay "Islam in Western Nineteenth-Century Life and Literature"
- Novels for Students [vol 3]
- Twentieth-Century Literary Criticism (TCLC) - Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and journals
- [vol 38] - locate the topical essay "Psychoanalysis and Literature"
- [vol 54] - locate the topical essay "Crime and Literature"
- [vol 70] - locate the topical essay "Alcohol and Literature"
Books & Audio/Visual Materials
Conduct a "Subject Browse" search using the Library Catalog for:
library materials that provide biographical information about Fyodor Dostoyevsky, as well criticism and interpretation of his work.
You might find the following eBook useful for researching Crime and Punishment. If
not on campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back
of your AACC photo ID or Truxal Library card to access these resources.
MLA-style and APA-style guidelines have changed recently, especially for citing sources accessed electronically. For the most up-to-date information about how to cite sources correctly, visit these pages:
Using a citation generator from a database or website?
Doublecheck to be sure the generator has used the current rules.
Library photo courtesy of Barry Halkin Photography