Skip to main content
Click on the links below to search for criticism and interpretation of literary works, as well as biographical information about authors. To access databases from off-campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back of your Truxal Library card or AACC photo ID.
Use this database for general background information and to define unfamiliar words and phrases:
To further research historical context of literary works, use:
Use these databases to broaden your search:
Search the Library Catalog for the following reference titles that contain material about Things Fall Apart. These titles may be available in other college or public libraries.
- Black Literary Criticism [vol 1]
- Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart: A Student Casebook to Issues, Sources, and Historical Documents
- Commonwealth Literature
- The Companion to African Literature
- Contemporary Literary Criticism [vols 1, 3, 5, 7, 11, 26, 51, 75, 127] - Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and journals; look forThings Fall Apart in the Cumulative Title Index, a separate paperback index that accompanies this multi-volume work
- Cyclopedia of Literary Characters [vol 4]
- Cyclopedia of Literary Places [vol 3]
- Cyclopedia of World Authors [vol 1]
- Critical Survey of Long Fiction [vols 1, 8]
- Encyclopedia of World Literature in the 20th Century [vols 1, 3, 5]
- Exploration and Colonization (Bloom's Literary Themes)
- Literature and Its Times [vol 2; suppl 1, part 2]
- Masterplots [vol 2]
- Masterplots II: British and Commonwealth Fiction [vol 4]
- Modern Commonwealth Literature
- Novels for Students [vol 2]
- Things Fall Apart: Critical Insights
- Twentieth-Century Literary Criticism (TCLC) - Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and journals
- [vol 30] - locate the topical essay "Nigerian Literature in the Twentieth Century"
- [vol 86] - locate the topical essay "Folklore in Literature"
- [vol 146] - locate the topical essay "Postcolonial African Literature"
- [vol 198] - locate the topical essay "Commonwealth Literature
- Understanding Things Fall Apart : A Student Casebook to Issues, Sources, and Historical Documents
- World Authors, 1950 - 1970
- World Literature and Its Times [vol 2]
Books & Audio/Visual Materials
Conduct a "Subject Browse" search using the Library Catalog for either:
- Achebe, Chinua
- Things Fall Apart
You'll find library materials that provide biographical information about Chinua Achebe, as well criticism and interpretation of his work.
You might find the following eBooks useful for researching Things Fall Apart. To access these resources from off-campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back of your Truxal Library card or AACC photo ID.
MLA-style and APA-style guidelines have changed recently, especially for citing sources accessed electronically. For the most up-to-date information about how to cite sources correctly, visit these pages:
Using a citation generator from a database or website?
Doublecheck to be sure the generator has used the current rules.
Library photo courtesy of Barry Halkin Photography