Skip to main content
Click on the links below to search for criticism and interpretation of literary works, as well as biographical information about authors. To access databases from off-campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back of your Truxal Library card or AACC photo ID.
Use this database for general background information and to define unfamiliar words and phrases:
To further research historical context of literary works, use:
Use these databases to broaden your search:
Please note that Albert Camus' The Stranger may be listed as The Outsider, or by its original French title, L’Étranger.
Search the Library Catalog for the following reference titles that contain material about The Stranger. These titles may be available in other college or public libraries.
- Contemporary Authors [vols 89-92]
- Contemporary Literary Criticism - Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and journals
- [vols 1, 2, 4, 9, 11, 14, 32, 63, 69, 124] - check under L’Étranger (under "E") in the Cumulative Title Index, a separate paperback index that accompanies this multi-volume work
- [vol 42] - locate the topical essay "Existentialism and Literature"
- [vol 54] - locate the topical essay "Crime in Twentieth-Century Literature"
- [vol 98] - locate the topical essay "The French New Novel"
- [vol 100] - locate the topical essays "Christianity in Twentieth-Century Literature" and "Nihilism and Literature"
- [vol 122] - locate the topical essay "Modern French Literature"
- Cyclopedia of Literary Characters [vol 4]
- Cyclopedia of Literary Places [vol 3]
- Cyclopedia of World Authors [vol 1]
- Encyclopedia of World Literature in the 20th Century
- European Writers [vol 13]
- Literature and Its Times [supl 1, part 2]
- Masterplots [vol 11]
- Novels for Students [vol 6]
- Short Story Criticism [vol 9]
- Twentieth-Century Literature Criticism - Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and journals
- [vol 126] - locate the topical essay "Law and Literature"
Books & Audio/Visual Materials
Conduct a "Subject Browse" search using the Library Catalog for either:
- Camus, Albert
- Existentialism in literature
library materials that provide biographical information about Albert Camus, as well criticism and interpretation of his work.
You might find the following eBooks useful for researching The Stranger. If
not on campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back
of your AACC photo ID or Truxal Library card to access these resources.
MLA-style and APA-style guidelines have changed recently, especially for citing sources accessed electronically. For the most up-to-date information about how to cite sources correctly, visit these pages:
Using a citation generator from a database or website?
Doublecheck to be sure the generator has used the current rules.
Library photo courtesy of Barry Halkin Photography