Skip to main content
Click on the links below to search for criticism and interpretation of literary works, as well as biographical information about authors. To access databases from off-campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back of your Truxal Library card or AACC photo ID.
Use this database for general background information and to define unfamiliar words and phrases:
To further research historical context of literary works, use:
Use these databases to broaden your search:
Search the Library Catalog for the following reference titles that contain material about Ernest Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. These titles may be available in other college or public libraries.
- American Diversity, American Identity: The Lives and Works of 145 Writers Who Define the American Experience
- American Writers [vol 2]
- Contemporary Authors [vol 77-80]
- Contemporary Authors, New Revision Series [vol 34]
- Contemporary Literary Criticism - Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and journals
- [vols 1, 6, 8, 10, 13, 19, 30, 61, 80] - look for The Sun Also Rises in the
Cumulative Title Index, a separate paperback index that accompanies this multi-volume work
- Critical Survey of Long Fiction [vol 3]
- Cyclopedia of Literary Characters [vol 4]
- Cyclopedia of Literary Places [vol 3]
- Cyclopedia of World Authors [vol 2]
- Literature and Its Times [supl 1, part 1]
- Literary Masters: Ernest Hemingway [vol 2]
- Literary Topics: Ernest Hemingway and the Expatriate Modernist Movement [vol 2]
- Masterplots [vol 11]
- Modern American Literature [vols 2, 4, 5, 6]
- Notable American Novelists [vol 2]
- Novels for Students [vol 5]
- Student Companion to Ernest Hemingway
- Twentieth-Century Literary Criticism (TCLC) - Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in
books and journals;
- [vol 34] - locate the topical essay "World War I Literature"
- [vol 70] - locate the topical essays "Modernism" and "Alcohol and Literature"
- [vol 74] - locate the topical essay "Imagism"
- [vol 110] - locate the topical essay "Christianity in Twentieth-Century Literature"
- [vol 114] - locate the topical essay "Food in Literature"
- [vol 115] - locate the topical essay on Ernest Hemingway, and the entry devoted to The Sun Also Rises
- [vol 118] - locate the topical essay "Jews in Literature"
- [vol 142] - locate the topical essay "The Grail Theme in Twentieth-Century Literature"
- [vol 162] - locate the topical essay "The Influence of Ernest Hemingway"
- [vol 178] - locate the topical essay "Writers of the Lost Generation"
Books & Audio/Visual Materials
Conduct a "Subject Browse" search using the Library Catalog for:
library materials that provide biographical information about Ernest Hemingway, as well criticism and interpretation of Hemingway's work.
You might find the following eBooks useful for researching The Sun Also Rises. If
not on campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back
of your AACC photo ID or Truxal Library card to access these resources.
MLA-style and APA-style guidelines have changed recently, especially for citing sources accessed electronically. For the most up-to-date information about how to cite sources correctly, visit these pages:
Using a citation generator from a database or website?
Doublecheck to be sure the generator has used the current rules.
Library photo courtesy of Barry Halkin Photography