Skip to main content
Click on the links below to search for criticism and interpretation of literary works, as well as biographical information about authors. To access databases from off-campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back of your Truxal Library card or AACC photo ID.
Use this database for general background information and to define unfamiliar words and phrases:
To further research historical context of literary works, use:
Use these databases to broaden your search:
Search the Library Catalog for the following reference titles that contain material about Toni Morrison's Sula. These titles may be available in other college or public libraries.
- African American Writers
- American Diversity, American Identity: The Lives and Works of 145 Writers Who Define the American Experience
- American Women Writers [vols 3, 5]
- American Writers [supl 1, part 2]
- Black American Women Fiction Writers
- Black Literature Criticism (BLC) [vol 3]
- Black Women in America: An Historical Encyclopedia [vol 2]
- Contemporary Authors [vol 29-32]
- Contemporary Authors, New Revision Series [vols 27, 42, 67]
- Contemporary Literary Criticism (CLC) - Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and journals
- [vols 4, 10, 22, 55, 81, 87] - check under Sula in the Cumulative Title Index, a separate paperback index that accompanies this multi-volume work
- Cyclopedia of Literary Characters [vol 4]
- Cyclopedia of Literary Places [vol 3]
- Masterplots [vol 11]
- Masterplots II: African American Literature Series [vol 3]
- Masterplots II: Women's Literature Series [vol 4]
- Modern American Literature [vols 5, 6]
- Notable American Novelists [vol 2]
- Notable Black American Women [bk 1]
- Novels for Students [vol 14]
- Twentieth-Century Literary Criticism (TCLC) - Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and journals
- [vol 86] - locate the topical essay "Folklore in Literature"
- [vol 94] - locate the topical essay "Women in Modern Literature"
- [vol 98] - locate the topical essay "Violence in Literature"
- [vol 110] - locate the topical essay "Magic Realism"
- [vol 114] - locate the topical essay "Food and Literature"
- [vol 126] - locate the "Special Commissioned Essay on African-American Folklore and Literature"
Books & Audio/Visual Materials
Conduct a "Subject Browse" search using the Library Catalog for either:
- Morrison, Toni
- African American women in literature
library materials that provide biographical information about Toni Morrison, as well criticism and interpretation of her work.
You might find the following eBooks useful for researching Sula. If
not on campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back
of your AACC photo ID or Truxal Library card to access these resources.
MLA-style and APA-style guidelines have changed recently, especially for citing sources accessed electronically. For the most up-to-date information about how to cite sources correctly, visit these pages:
Using a citation generator from a database or website?
Doublecheck to be sure the generator has used the current rules.
Library photo courtesy of Barry Halkin Photography