Skip to main content
Click on the links below to search for criticism and interpretation of literary works, as well as biographical information about authors. To access databases from off-campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back of your Truxal Library card or AACC photo ID.
Use this database for general background information and to define unfamiliar words and phrases:
To further research historical context of literary works, use:
Use these databases to broaden your search:
Please note that Sophocles' Oedipus the King may be listed as Oedipus Rex or Oedipus Tyrannus, but it is a different play than Oedipus at Colonus
Read or Search Sophocles' Oedipus the King Online
Full text of Oedipus the King is available on the Web at:
Print copies are also available in Truxal Library.
Search the Library Catalog for the following reference titles that contain material about Oedipus the King. These titles may be available in other college or public libraries.
- Ancient Greeks: Creating the Classical Tradition
- Ancient Writers: Greece and Rome [vol 1]
- Brill's Companion to Sophocles
- Civilization of the Ancient Mediterranean: Greece and Rome
- Classical and Medieval Criticism (CMLC) - Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and journals
- [vols 2, 47, 51, 80, 86] - check under Oedipus tyrannos in the Cumulative Title Index, which is located in the latest volume of this multi-volume work
- [vol 26] - locate the topical essay "Greek Mythology"
- [vol 51] - locate the topical essay "Greek Theater"
- [vol 92] - locate the topical essay "Roman Drama"
- Critical Survey of Drama [vol 6]
- Cyclopedia of Literary Characters [vol 3]
- Cyclopedia of Literary Places [vol 2]
- Cyclopedia of World Authors [vol 3]
- Daily Life of the Ancient Greeks
- Drama Criticism [vol 1]
- Drama for Students [vols 1, 4]
- Greek and Latin Authors, 800 BC - AD 1000
- Handbook to Life in Ancient
- Literature and Its Times [supl 1, part 1]
- McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of World Drama [vol 4]
- Smithsonian Timelines of the Ancient World
- Sophocles' Oedipus Rex
- World Literature and Its Times [vol 8]
Books & Audio/Visual Materials
Conduct a "Subject Browse" search using the Library Catalog for:
- Oedipus Greek mythology in literature
- Greek drama--History and criticism
library materials that provide biographical information about Sophocles, as well criticism and interpretation of his work.
You might find the following eBooks useful for researching Antigone. If
not on campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back
of your AACC photo ID or Truxal Library card to access these resources.
Research Guide to Theater
MLA-style and APA-style guidelines have changed recently, especially for citing sources accessed electronically. For the most up-to-date information about how to cite sources correctly, visit these pages:
Using a citation generator from a database or website?
Doublecheck to be sure the generator has used the current rules.
Library photo courtesy of Barry Halkin Photography