Click on the links below to search for criticism and interpretation of literary works, as well as biographical information about authors. To access databases from off-campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back of your Truxal Library card or AACC photo ID.
- Literature Resource Center
- Literature Criticism Online
- Bloom's Literary Criticism
- MagillOnLiterature Plus
- Project MUSE
- JSTOR Arts & Sciences III Collection
- Gale Virtual Reference Library
- ABC-CLIO eBook Collection
- Oxford African American Studies Center
- Contemporary Women's Issues
Use this databases for general background information and to define unfamiliar words and phrases:
To further research historical context of literary works, use:
Use these databases to broaden your search:
Searching for Full Text
Search the Library Catalog for the following reference titles that contain material about Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon. These titles may be available in other college or public libraries.
- American Writers [supl 4, part 1]
- Classic Crime and Suspense Writers
- Contemporary Authors [vol 81-84]
- Contemporary Authors, New Revision Series [vol 42]
- Contemporary Literary Criticism (CLC) - Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and journals
- [vols 3, 5, 19, 47] - check under The Maltese Falcon in the Cumulative Title Index, a separate paperback index that accompanies this multi-volume work
- [vol 209] - locate the topical essay "Contemporary Crime Fiction"
- Cyclopedia of Literary Characters [vol 3]
- Cyclopedia of Literary Places [vol 2]
- Cyclopedia of World Authors [vol 2]
- Dashiell Hammett
- A Dashiell Hammett Companion
- Film Noir: A Comprehensive, Illustrated Reference to Movies, Terms, and Persons
- Literary Masterpieces: The Maltese Falcon [vol 3]
- Literary Masters: Dashiell Hammett [vol 3]
- Literature and Its Times [vol 3]
- Magill's Survey of Cinema: English Language Films [vol 3]
- Masterplots [vol 7]
- Modern American Literature [vols 2, 4, 5, 6]
- Notable American Novelists [vol 2]
- Novels for Students [vol 21]
Twentieth-Century Literary Criticism (TCLC) -
Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and
- [vol 38] - locate the topical essays "Detective Fiction" and "Film and Literature"
- [vol 70] - locate the topical essay "Popular Literature"
- [vol 118] - locate the topical essay "Hard-Boiled Fiction"
You might find the following eBooks useful for researching The Maltese Falcon. If not on campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back of your AACC photo ID or Truxal Library card to access these resources.
If we can further assist you in your search for information, please drop by the reference desk or contact reference staff at 410-777-2456 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
MLA-style and APA-style guidelines have changed recently, especially for citing sources accessed electronically. For the most up-to-date information about how to cite sources correctly, visit these pages:
Using a citation generator from a database or website?
Doublecheck to be sure the generator has used the current rules.