Skip to main content
Click on the links below to search for criticism and interpretation of literary works, as well as biographical information about authors. To access databases from off-campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back of your Truxal Library card or AACC photo ID.
Use this database for general background information and to define unfamiliar words and phrases:
To further research historical context of literary works, use:
Use these databases to broaden your search:
Experience This Play Performed
If not on campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back of your AACC photo ID or Truxal Library card to access these multimedia resources.
BBC production of Julius Caesar, produced by Cedric Messina and directed by Herbert Wise
You might find the following eBooks useful for researching Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. If not on campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back of your AACC photo ID or Truxal Library card to access these resources.
Books & Audio/Visual Materials
Conduct a Subject search using the Library Catalog for either:
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. Julius Caesar.
- Caesar, Julius--In literature.
You'll find library materials that provide biographical information about Shakespeare, as well criticism and interpretation of his work.
Read or Search Shakespeare's Hamlet Online
Full text of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar is available on the Web at:
Print copies are also available in Truxal Library.
Search the Library Catalog for the following reference titles that contain material about Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. These titles may be available in other college or public libraries.
- All Things Shakespeare: An Encyclopedia of Shakespeare's World
- British Writers [vols 1, 2, 3, 5]
- A Companion to Shakespeare
- Critical Survey of Drama [vol 6]
- The Critical Temper: A Survey of Modern Criticism on English and American Literature from the Beginnings to the Twentieth Century [vols 1, 4]
- Cyclopedia of Literary Characters [vol 2]
- Cyclopedia of Literary Places [vol 3]
- Cyclopedia of World Authors [vol 3]
- Essential Shakespeare Handbook
- The Facts on File Companion to Shakespeare
- The Friendly Shakespeare: A Thoroughly Painless Guide to the Best of the Bard
- The Library of Literary Criticism [vol 1]
- Literature and Its Times [vol 1]
- Masterplots [vol 6]
- Shakespeare After All
- Shakespeare A to Z: The Essential Reference to His Plays, His Poems, His Life and Times and More
- Shakespearean Criticism - Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and journals; check under the the Cumulative Character Index or under the Cumulative Topic Index, by Play; these indexes are located in the latest volume of this multi-volume work
- Shakespeare's Characters for Students
- Shakespeare the Playwright: A Companion to the Complete Tragedies, Histories, Comedies and Romances
- A Theatergoer's Guide to Shakespeare
- William Shakespeare: His World, His Work, His Influence
Research Guide to Theater
MLA-style and APA-style guidelines have changed recently, especially for citing sources accessed electronically. For the most up-to-date information about how to cite sources correctly, visit these pages:
Using a citation generator from a database or website?
Doublecheck to be sure the generator has used the current rules.
Library photo courtesy of Barry Halkin Photography