Skip to main content
Click on the links below to search for criticism and interpretation of literary works, as well as biographical information about authors. To access databases from off-campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back of your Truxal Library card or AACC photo ID.
Use this database for general background information and to define unfamiliar words and phrases:
To further research historical context of literary works, use:
Use these databases to broaden your search:
Search the Library Catalog for the following reference titles that contain material about Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle. These titles may be available in other college or public libraries.
- American Diversity, American Identity: The Lives and Works of 145 Writers Who Define the American Experience
- American Writers [supl 2, part 2; vol 11]
Classic Cult Fiction: A Companion to Popular Cult Literature
- Contemporary Literary Criticism (CLC) - Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and journals
- [vols 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 12, 22, 40, 60, 111, 212, 254] - look for Cat's Cradle in the
Cumulative Title Index, a separate paperback index that accompanies this multi-volume work
- [vol 196] - locate the topical essay "Contemporary Black Humor"
- Critical Companion to Kurt Vonnegut: A Literary Reference to His Life and Work
- Critical Survey of Long Fiction [vol 7]
- Cyclopedia of Literary Characters [vol 1]
- Cyclopedia of World Authors [vol 5]
- Kurt Vonnegut: A Critical Companion
- Masterplots II: American Fiction [vol 1]
- Modern American Literature [vols 4, 5, 6]
- Notable American Novelists [vol 3]
- Novels for Students [vol 28]
- Twentieth-Century Literary Criticism (TCLC)- Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and journals
- [vol 54] - locate the topical essay "American Black Humor Fiction"
- [vol 66] - locate the topical essay "Disease and Literature"
- [vol 98] - locate the topical essay "Violence and Literature"
- [vol 186] - locate the topical essay "Cold War Literature"
- [vol 210] - locate the topical essay "American Dream in Literature"
- The Vonnegut Encyclopedia: An Authorized Compendium
Books & Audio/Visual Materials
Conduct a "Subject Browse" search using the Library Catalog for:
library materials that provide biographical information about Kurt Vonnegut, as well criticism and interpretation of Vonnegut's work.
You might find the following eBook useful for researching Cat's Cradle. If not on campus, you
will need to enter the barcode number from the back of your AACC photo
ID or Truxal Library card to access these resources.
MLA-style and APA-style guidelines have changed recently, especially for citing sources accessed electronically. For the most up-to-date information about how to cite sources correctly, visit these pages:
Using a citation generator from a database or website?
Doublecheck to be sure the generator has used the current rules.
Library photo courtesy of Barry Halkin Photography