Skip to main content
Click on the links below to search for criticism and interpretation of literary works, as well as biographical information about authors. To access databases from off-campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back of your Truxal Library card or AACC photo ID.
Use this database for general background information and to define unfamiliar words and phrases:
To further research historical context of literary works, use:
Use these databases to broaden your search:
Search the Library Catalog for the following reference titles that contain material about Jospeh Heller's Catch-22. These titles may be available in other college or public libraries.
- American Diversity, American Identity: The Lives and Works of 145 Writers Who Define the American Experience
- American Writers [vol 3; supl 4, part 1]
- Classic Cult Fiction: A Companion to Popular Cult Literature
- Contemporary Literary Criticism (CLC) - Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and journals
- [vols 1, 3, 5, 8, 11, 36, 63] - look for Catch-22 in the Cumulative Title Index, a separate paperback index that accompanies this multi-volume work
- [vol 196] - locate the topical essay "Contemporary Black Humor"
- Critical Survey of Long Fiction [vols 3, 8]
- Cyclopedia of Literary Characters [vol 1]
- Cyclopedia of Literary Places [vol 1]
- Cyclopedia of World Authors [vol 2]
- Joseph Heller's Catch-22
- Literature and Its Times [vol 4]
- Masterplots [vol 2]
- Notable American Novelists [vol 2]
- Novels for Students [vol 1]
- Survey of Contemporary Literature [vol 1]
- Twentieth-Century Literary Criticism (TCLC)- Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and journals
- [vol 54] - locate the topical essay "American Black Humor Fiction"
- [vol 78] - locate the topical essay "Death in Literature"
- [vol 90] - locate the topical essay "The City and Literature"
- [vol 94] - locate the topical essay "Politics and Literature"
- [vol 131] - locate the "Special Commissioned Essay on Catch-22 by Joseph Heller"
- Understanding the Literature of World War II: A Student Casebook to Issues, Sources, and Historical Documents
Books & Audio/Visual Materials
Conduct a "Subject Browse" search using the Library Catalog for:
library materials that provide biographical information about Joseph Heller as well criticism and interpretation of his work.
You might find the following eBooks useful for researching Catch-22. If not on campus, you
will need to enter the barcode number from the back of your AACC photo
ID or Truxal Library card to access these resources.
Library photo courtesy of Barry Halkin Photography