Skip to main content
Click on the links below to search for criticism and interpretation of literary works, as well as biographical information about authors. To access databases from off-campus, you will need to enter the barcode number from the back of your Truxal Library card or AACC photo ID.
Use this database for general background information and to define unfamiliar words and phrases:
To further research historical context of literary works, use:
Use these databases to broaden your search:
Search the Library Catalog for the following reference titles that contain material about William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying. These titles may be available in other college or public libraries.
- American Diversity, American Identity: The Lives and Works of 145 Writers Who Define the American Experience
- American Writers [vol 2]
- A Companion to Faulkner Studies
- Contemporary Literary Criticism (CLC) - Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and journals
- [vols 1, 3, 6, 8, 9, 11, 14, 28, 52, 68] - check under As I Lay Dying in the Cumulative Title Index, a separate paperback index that accompanies this multi-volume work
- Critical Companion to William Faulkner
- Cyclopedia of Literary Characters [vol 1]
- Cyclopedia of World Authors [vol 1]
- Encyclopedia of Southern Literature
- Faulkner's People: A Complete Guide and Index to Characters in the Fiction of William Faulkner
- A Glossary of Faulkner's South
- Masterplots [vol 1]
- Modern American Literature [vols 1, 4, 5, 6]
- Notable American Novelists [vol 1]
- Novels for Students [vol 8]
- A Reader's Guide to William Faulkner: The Novels
- Twentieth-Century Literary Criticism (TCLC) - Contains passages from literary criticism originally published in books and journals
- [vols 141, 170] - look for As I Lay Dying in the Cumulative Title Index, a separate paperback index that accompanies this multi-volume work
- [vol 142] - locate the topical essay "Southern Gothic Literature"
- [vol 170] - locate the topical essay "The Influence of William Faulkner"
- Who's Who in Faulkner
- William Faulkner
- William Faulkner A to Z: The Essential Reference to His Life and Work
Books & Audio/Visual Materials
Conduct a "Subject Browse" search using the Library Catalog for:
library materials that provide biographical information about William Faulkner, as well criticism and interpretation of his work.
You might find the following eBooks useful for researching As I Lay Dying. If not on campus, you
will need to enter the barcode number from the back of your AACC photo
ID or Truxal Library card to access these resources.
MLA-style and APA-style guidelines have changed recently, especially for citing sources accessed electronically. For the most up-to-date information about how to cite sources correctly, visit these pages:
Using a citation generator from a database or website?
Doublecheck to be sure the generator has used the current rules.
Library photo courtesy of Barry Halkin Photography